Apps For Educators: Mathematics
This week we are highlighting apps that focus on a different type of literacy. The process of developing literacy skills such as reading and writing are well known, but there is another type of literacy that is often overlooked- Math Literacy. Oxford Learning states, “Math literacy, also known as numeracy, means having the ability to problem-solve, reason and analyze information.” To learn more about what it means to be literate in math check out this article, What Does Math Literacy Mean?
Math is everywhere and is used everyday! With access to so many educational apps, teachers and students have no reason not to practice mathematics on a regular basis. With educational apps geared towards math, one realizes that it is never too late to build math skills and learn basic concepts! Here are a few of our favorite:
- Fractions Explained: This app includes four video lessons on fractions. Also included are 40 practice problems and study cards. These colorful lessons can help anyone of any age that is learning fractions for the first time or has struggled with them for years. Have some fun while you learn fractions.
- Numberline Frog: With an animated frog that hops along an interactive numberline and outrageous cartoon sounds, Numberline Frog helps children ages 3 – 6 transition from finger counting to kindergarten style math in an entertaining game-like environment.
- Splash Math: This math workbook aimed at 3rd graders is very educational and has a vast amount of content! With 16 chapters covering over 200 math skills, it is one of the most comprehensive math apps available! Most importantly, all of the included problems are aligned with state standards for 3rd grade.
- Math Ref: For more advanced students or teachers, Math Ref is a math reference application that includes over 1,400 helpful formulas, figures, tips and examples of the equations, and concepts.
- Cash Cow: Cash Cow is a puzzle game that is based entirely around the mathematics of money! In order to save Buck the Cow’s farm, students must use their money-counting skills to strategize, save, and spend appropriately. This app is great for real life application!
- Algebra Touch: Have you forgotten most of your algebra? Algebra Touch refreshes your skills using techniques only possible on your iOS device. This educational app teaches and allows practice of algebraic concepts! So get rearranging and solving polynomials today.
- Math Drills: Graphically rich and fun environment allows up to 10 students to learn basic math skills in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Solutions to the problems are revealed with a variety of on-screen manipulatives like number lines, the nine times tables on your fingers, or wooden blocks.
What are your favorite apps for practicing math?