Apps For Educators: History
I often meet people who are indifferent to hearing or learning anything historical. When these people start telling me how much they disliked history classes growing up, my eyes start to get real big and my mouth opens in shock. Usually these conversations end with me informing people they were taught history all wrong.
If taught correctly, History and Social Studies classes should not only inform students about world cultures, governments, and religions, but also inspire creativity! This small list of History-based apps can give teachers extra inspiration to ensure historical events are enjoyable and applicable to students.
- Constitution for iPad: Have you read the entire US constitution? Well, now you can access to it at anytime for when you get those sudden urges to read your rights!
- Declaration of Independence: The Declaration of Independence app is a great companion to the Constitution app. See what started it all!
- World Atlas HD: Created by National Geographic, these HD maps will be invaluable when looking up countries, rivers, mountain ranges, etc. related to historical events!
- Today In History: This app is one of the easiest ways to access history information! View what happened today in history, share interesting trivia on Facebook or Twitter, and leave comments. With this app, teachers can easily share a history fact of the day with students!
- World Quiz Lite: Said to be a “constant companion on your journey to discover the world”, this quiz app will challenge your knowledge of geography, history, events and places. This is a fun app to share with students!
- AP World History Flashcards: Created to be a study aid for AP World History exams, this app covers everything from 8000 B.C.E. to the present. This is a great app to share with students or review your knowledge of world history. With its comprehensive and accurate information you will undoubtly become inspired!
- British Library Treasures: This app for the iPhone and iPad, will give access to explore some of the Library’s most extraordinary written and printed material. See key historical documents like the original Magna Carta of 1215, Elizabeth I’s famous Tilbury speech, or the 2000-year-old Oracle Bones from China. Regularly updated with information, this app will keep you coming back!
- Today’s Document: Explore American history with this app from the US National Archives. This interactive gallery displays a historical document or photo for each day of the year. With the ability to browse at your leisure, you can easily access documents like the Emancipation Proclamation or JFK’s 1961 Inaugural Address with a click of a button!
- Greek Mythology: This is a must have! This app will get your imagination reeling with over 500 descriptions and backgrounds of Greek Gods, heroes, demigods, and titans! This app allows you to examine what Greek civilizations believed thousands of years ago.
- Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire: This app is the complete works of Edward Gibbons, The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. “This is the complete history of the Roman Empire from the early days of Christianity to the fall of Constantinople in 1453.” This is a great app for teachers who love history or students that are interested in the Romans!
Do you have any favorite historical apps? We’d love to know!