Apps For Educators: English Language Arts
Today we are highlighting English Language Art apps. With the hundreds of apps available for English Language Arts, it’s clear that this resource has the potential to be a fantastic tool in the classroom! We’ve chosen these specific apps based on education potential, design, creativity and statistic capabilities. These apps help students with things like Spelling, grammar and vocabulary. Like the 7 literature apps we shared last week, these English Language Art apps are great to use in the classroom, share with parents, and find inspirations for lesson plans!
- My Spell Test: This custom spelling test creator is a fabulous app to share with parents and students. With My Spell Test, students have the power to participate in true self-testing! Simply add your word list, record yourself saying each word, and then take the test! This app would also be a great tool to integrate into the classroom for practicing spelling (resources provided). Throughout the week, let struggling students create and take their own My Spell Test.
- Grammar Up: The Grammar Up app is a multiple choice quiz system which provides over 1,800 questions across 20 grammar categories. Improve grammar, word selection, and vocabulary with this impressive app!
- SpellBoard: This app allows you to create a spelling quiz in any language! What makes SpellBoard so great for educators is you can create multiple student profiles so you can track performances across any number of quizzes. SpellBoard also has a study mode where students can go through a quiz to simply hear and see the word or phrase. Finally, you can share the quizzes you create in SpellBoard with other users! What a fantastic way to connect with students and parents!
- Word A Day Visuals & Audios: This app is a great way to increase vocabulary! Using humorous illustrations and audio, this Word A Day app makes the vocabulary building process a breeze.
- Verb Power: Designed to familiarize you at a glance with various meanings of verbs, Verb Power is sure to expand your expression of emotion, humor, thought, and action! This app will expand your literary skills and make you a master of expression!
- Build A Word: Used frequently in schools, this app aims to help you understand how to put letters together to form words. This child-friendly app is great for those of a relatively young age. Students will be motivated through positive reinforcement in the form of a fun balloon popping game offered after each successfully “written” word. Build A Word is another great app to share with students, especially those struggling with forming words.
- Weird Word of the Day: Augment your vocabulary with amazing new words! Learning unique words is not only fun, but can improve your writing, expand vocabulary knowledge, and make conversations more colorful. Weird Word of the Day can also be a great tool for sharing vocabulary words with your classroom.
- The Spellinguists: This unique app is an interactive story and spelling practice game about two performing sisters that strengthens reading and spelling skills. Help Daisy & Lucille practice juggling by picking the correct letters at the top to match the word below! This original app is sure to entertain!
- SentenceBuilder: This iPad app is designed to help elementary aged students learn to build grammatically correct sentences. Students build sentences around 100 distinct pictures and 60 encouragement animations! As they progress through the 3 levels, statistics will be collected to track student progress. The possibilities for using this app in the classroom seem endless!
Do you have any English Language Art app secrets? Which are your favorites?